Friday, August 5, 2011

What are you committed to..?

My good friend Mary Cravets (mary@marycravets.com) shared this with me and I wanted to pass it on...

I’ll admit it, I got a bit grumpy this week. I was fretting over a big project that will keep me on the road a lot over the next week, plus the demands of seeing my regular clients, writing blogs, creating a new program, etc. I started to get paralyzed by it all, when a new thought popped into my head…
“How committed am I to feeling this way?”
Hm… hadn’t thought of it that way before. Strangely, the question made me smile. Who intentionally commits to something like a lousy attitude? The heavy stress that was starting to take over was instantly lifted, although I’m not exactly sure why.
Maybe a little humor simply helped me refocus on what I wanted to accomplish, rather dwelling on the obstacles.
Maybe the question reminded me of the things I AM committed to – loving my family, serving others, enjoying life. Powerful things that, when compared with how I was feeling, made the idea of committing to a bad attitude seem ludicrous.
Maybe it’s because I moved from the “I am stress” perspective, to the “I have stress.” Things that you ARE, can’t be easily removed. Things that you HAVE, can be gotten rid of with a simple decision.
Whatever the reason, the shift was significant and immediate. It was like getting a deep breath of fresh air after being in a stuffy, smoke-filled room. Aaahhh… that’s better!

No comments:

Post a Comment